The Perfect Berry Smoothie will make all of your smoothie dreams come true. Low-sugar, protein-packed, and delightfully delicious. This recipe is sure to become your new breakfast or snack staple!
For a few weeks now I’ve been craving a berry smoothie, but couldn’t pinpoint the exact ingredients needed to achieve it. I’ve made many a smoothie in my life, but honestly, I had a very specific vision of this particular berry smoothie I wanted: creamy, not too sweet, satiating, and full of berry goodness.
I’m pleased to announce that all my berry smoothie dreams have come true! This recipe truly is The Perfect Berry Smoothie.
Here’s what I love about this berry smoothie recipe:
- It’s not too sweet. Berries by nature aren’t super sugary fruits, but this recipe also uses just half a banana (note that there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a full banana in smoothies, but for this recipe, half gives just the right amount of sweetness and creamy texture).
- It’s rich in protein. Did you know that ensuring your smoothies have enough protein in them helps control blood sugar? Sugar in smoothies can quickly add up leading to blood sugar and insulin spikes, so it’s nice to balance it out with some slow-digesting protein. To achieve this + add even more rich, creaminess, Greek yogurt is the star in this recipe, although you can also use a dairy-free yogurt such as coconut. I like making this smoothie that way, too. Bonus because yogurt also adds some slow-digesting fat, too (I don’t recommend fat-free or skim yogurt).
- It’s has veggies in it. Yep! Why not add a little veggie boost, too? I promise the veggies used in this smoothie do not affect the flavour. Neutral-tasing frozen cauliflower replaces ice in this recipe, plus a few fresh and mild-tasting leaves of baby spinach.
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- Frozen mixed berries (I like mixes with blueberry, strawberry and raspberry)
- Frozen cauliflower
- Baby spinach
- Greek or coconut yogurt
- Chia seeds
- Vanilla extract
- Milk of choice (I like almond or oat milk)
The Perfect Berry Smoothie
A creamy, protein-rich and not-too-sweet berry smoothie perfect for breakfast or afternoon snack!
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries (strawberry, blueberry, raspebrry, blackberry)
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I like almond or oat milk)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Greek or dairy-free coconut yogurt
- 3 chunks frozen cauliflower, or ice cubes
- a few large leaves baby spinach
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Add all ingredients to blender and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. Enjoy right away!
If you try this smoothie leave me a comment & rating below, or tag me in your Perfect Berry Smoothie photos on Instagram @meghanlivingstone 🙂
Check out this smoothie in action in the video below: