This super easy and absolutely delicious Mushroom & Broccoli Risotto makes a great, hearty side dish with dinner. It’s sure to become a new family favourite.
I love a good side dish. And I especially love side dishes that involve rice. Rice is just so versatile and can be used or seasoned in a million different ways. Recently I wanted to switch things up and I thought I’d give risotto a try, something I’d not really made before.
In the process I learned that traditional risotto is made with a specific kind of rice, arborio rice, which is a much starchier variety that helps make risotto really creamy and rich. However, I didn’t have that rice on hand when coming up with this recipe so I used a long grain & wild rice blend. I have a pretty no-fuss attitude when it comes to cooking, so I’d say use whatever rice you have in your cupboard. It’ll still be delicious even if the texture isn’t as creamy as a traditional risotto!
When using long grain rice though, the trick is to stir continuously while cooking. That way it’ll help to break up the rice a bit and release more of it’s starch so as to help increase the creaminess.
How to Make Long-Grain Mushroom & Broccoli Risotto
To make this risotto, you’ll need:
- Long grain rice (I like this blend here)
- Chicken broth
- Cremini mushrooms
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Herbs, such as basil or thyme (optional)
- Start by sautéing minced garlic in olive oil, then add diced mushrooms.
- Add rice and half the broth, stirring frequently, until most liquid is absorbed.
- Add more broth, again stirring until liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining broth and stir in with chopped broccoli.
- Once liquid is absorbed, rice is softened and mixture is fairly creamy, add in freshly grated parmesan cheese and stir well.
- Serve immediately. Pairs well with roasted chicken (try my almond crusted chicken) or salmon.
Mushroom & Broccoli Risotto (long-grain)
A rich and creamy veggie risotto made with long grain & wild rice.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp herbs, such as basil or thyme (optional)
Start by sautéing minced garlic in olive oil over medium heat, then add diced mushrooms and cook 3-5 minutes.
Add rice and half the broth (about 1 cup), stirring frequently, until most liquid is absorbed. Keep lid on in between stirs. Keep heat on medium-low.
Add 1/2 cup more broth, again stirring until liquid is absorbed.
Add remaining broth and stir in with chopped broccoli until rice is fully cooked, about another 5-10 minutes or so. If rice is not fully cooked (still a bit firm) add another 1/4 cup broth and let cook with lid on, stirring every couple of minutes.
Once liquid is absorbed, rice is softened and mixture is fairly creamy, add in freshly grated parmesan cheese and stir well until melted and combined.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, leave me a rating below or tag me in your photos on Instagram @meghanlivingstone!