If you’re a potato salad lover, you’ve come to the right place. This Creamy Dill Potato Salad is everything your dairy-free, egg-free, whole food dreams are made of.
To say I love potato salad would be an understatement. Mostly because anything that has to do with potatoes is delicious in my books, but also the dressing for this recipe is just too good.
I also just decided that the name Potato for a pet is great. Tay for short. Or Tato. Or Po. Or Poey. Tate? Tatey?
Anyways. Here’s what I love about this Creamy Dill Potato Salad:
- It’s made with calcium-rich tahini (sesame seed butter) instead of mayo, which means no processed oils
- It contains pickles (and pickle juice!) which provides a great boost of probiotics from the brine if you use the fermented variety. You can of course use whichever dill pickles you have on hand, but if you want these benefits, look for fermented (not just jarred in vinegar). I like the brand Bubbies.
- Potatoes are an easy-on-the-stomach food which I appreciate!
- You can also use tri-coloured baby potatoes if you want to (my favourite for this recipe) to create an adorable aesthetically pleasing dish
How to Make Creamy Dill Potato Salad
All you need to make this potato salad are potatoes, pickles, tahini, olive oil, grainy or dijon mustard, lemon juice, and dill!
- Chop your potatoes into bite-sized chunks (you can slice them easily in half or quarters if you use baby potatoes) and boil in a large pot with water for about 20 minutes. You’ll want them to be fork-tender but not mushy! Do not overcook.
- Dice pickles up into very small bits.
- Mix together tahini, mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, pickle juice and dill until very creamy.
- Drain the potatoes, transfer to large bowl, and let them cool.
- Stir dressing and diced pickles into the cooled potatoes until mixed well and evenly coated. Place in refrigerator to chill for 30-60 minutes and then enjoy!
Creamy Dill Potato Salad
A rich and creamy potato salad made with tahini, grainy mustard, pickles, and dill!
- 1.5 lbs baby potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced dill pickles (use fermented pickles if possible!)
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp grainy or dijon mustard (I like grainy)
- 3 tbsp pickle juice from jar (or use water)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or juice of 1 large lemon)
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and black pepper
Chop potatoes into large bite-sized pieces. You can easily halve or quarter your baby potatoes.
Add potatoes and water to large pot and boil for about 20-25 minutes until fork-tender but not mushy. Be careful not to overcook.
In small bowl, mix together tahini, olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, pickle juice, dill, salt and pepper, until creamy.
Finely dice your pickles.
Once potatoes are cooked, drain, transfer to bowl, and let cool.
Add dressing and diced pickles to bowl with potatoes and toss well until evenly coated and mixed. Enjoy right away at room temperature, or place in refrigerator for 30-60 minutes to chill!
Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Got any potato salad tips to share? Leave ’em in the comments. I’d also love to hear how this recipe turns out if you give it a try! Tag me on Instagram @meghanlivingstone 🙂