Fruit-Infused Water is a great way to jazz up your water this spring and summer with fresh fruits, veggies, and herbs.
We all know that drinking plenty of water, especially in the spring and summer, is important. I do my best to drink lots of water every day, but one way that we can make it more interesting and flavourful is by adding some fruits and herbs.
Fruit-infused water is really easy to make and there are endless combinations you can get creative with. I’ve got plenty of ideas for you in this post, so keep reading!
What is Fruit-Infused Water?
Fruit infused water is exactly what it sounds like! Water that has been infused with flavourful fresh fruits, veggies, and herbs. It’s a great way to add flavour, colour, and a natural nutrient boost to your water, especially if you muddle the ingredients down to help extract their beneficial properties.
How to Make Fruit-Infused Water
All you need for making fruit-infused water are fresh fruits, veggies, herbs, and water. You’ll also need a large mason jar or container.
You can use any which combination that you like, such as fruit/herbs on their own, or mixing things together to create a combination you love.
- Simply add each ingredient to your jar and fill to the top with filtered water. You’ll only need a few slices or sprigs of each ingredient, so there’s no need to jam your container full. But play around with amounts that you find enjoyable.
- For a more flavourful infusion and to extract some more of the beneficial properties from your herbs and fruits, I recommend muddling the fruit and/or herbs with a wooden spoon in your jar before adding water.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the flavours to fully infuse your water.
- Enjoy right away or store for 1-2 days in a closed jar in your refrigerator.
Note: Citrus can make water very bitter if left too long, especially if the rind is left on. So I generally recommend adding your ingredients and drinking right away, or removing the rind of fruits like grapefruit if you want to store them in your refrigerator for a day or two.
As you can see, there are all kinds of ingredients you can use. Mix and match to come up with your favourite! Here are some combinations I love:
Combinations to Try
- cucumber + lemon
- raspberry, lime + cilantro
- strawberry, grapefruit + rosemary
- strawberry + mint
- watermelon, cucumber + mint
- orange slices
- lemon + lime
- frozen berries + lime/lemon
- cucumber + cantaloupe
- kiwi + orange
- raspberry + sage
- cucumber, basil + lime
- pear + rosemary
- peach slices
- grapefruit + thyme
- raspberry, grapefruit + cilantro
How Long Can You Store Fruit-Infused Water?
Water that has been infused with fruits, herbs, and veggies are best consumed right away as they can begin to taste off or lose a lot of their flavour altogether. Citrus fruits, like grapefruit or lime, also have a tendency to get really bitter if left too long or if their rinds are left on. I recommend adding your ingredients and drinking right away, or removing the rind of fruits like grapefruit if you want to store them in your refrigerator for a day or two.
Let me know in the comments if you give some fruit-infused water a try! Tag me in your beautiful photos on Instagram @meghanlivingtstone.