The perfect decadent and chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies! These are made with almond butter instead of flour. Whip ’em up for friends, family, as a holiday treat, or any ol’ day of the week.
I’ve been in a baking mood lately and figured it was time to update my blog with a couple new dessert recipes. As I sat and pondered which recipes I’d like to experiment with, a classic double chocolate cookie came to mind. ‘Cause I mean… chocolate is life.
These Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with almond butter instead of flour, making them a great gluten-free option.
Also, I gotta say: nothing beats trying out a new recipe and having it turn out perfect the very first time. I basically just slapped together some general measurements based on things I’ve baked in the past, and everything turned out wonderfully.
These Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are perfect for the holiday season to share with friends and family, or if you’re like me, to just make on a random weeknight because why not?
How to Make Paleo Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
To make these Double Chocolate Chip Cookies, you’ll need:
- Almond butter, or your favourite nut butter
- Cacao powder
- Coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate chips
- Sea salt
Here are a few tips for making these cookies:
- The dough is quite thick and as such, they wont bake up properly if you just scoop spoonfuls onto a pan and throw them in the oven. You’ll want to flatten them *slightly* with your fingers to form a cookie shape. Not pancake flat, but pressed down and shaped just a bit.
- You can choose to make a crunchier cookie by baking for 1-2 minutes longer. For chewier cookies (my preference!) bake for a little less time, around 10-11 minutes.
- These cookies must be left to cool for 15-20 minutes on the pan once they’re removed from the oven. If you try and pick them up while they’re still warm, they’ll likely fall apart. That’s just the nature of the ingredients used and how they cook up! Once they cool down though, they’ll hold together well.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
A chewy and decadent paleo double chocolate cookie made with almond butter.
- 1 cup almond butter (creamy, unsweetened & unsalted)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
Preheat oven to 350F.
Add all ingredients to medium-sized bowl (no need to separate dry and wet)
Mix until well combined. Dough will be very thick.
Form cookies with hands using about 2 tbsp dough at a time. Roll into balls and flatten slightly (not too flat!)
Place onto a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet and bake for about 10-11 minutes for softer cookies. For a crunchier cookie, bake for 12-13 minutes.
Store in airtight container. Can be stored in fridge for up to 7 days, or freezer for 3 months.
I’d love to see your cookie creations! Tag me on Instagram @meghanlivingstone if you give this recipe a try.